When I say "nature",
I mean out in our front yard
with a bunch of leaves,
dried grass and some crazy,
long, obnoxious palm frond thingies.
That is in fact the technical term for them.
I'm almost positive of it.
One of my favorite things about North Carolina
is all the trees.
They are so tall,
so abundant,
so beautiful.
Oh,
and they shed leaves nearly all year round.
It's the third week of February
and there are still dead leaves
clinging to many of the trees in our neighborhood.
We rake from October
straight through until April or May
when the trees have new leaves.
I didn't think about it until I'd raked for nearly two hours,
but it's impossible for anyone who didn't see our yard
before this afternoon
to understand just how many leaves we raked.
I didn't take any before pictures,
but this is a great after picture.
Look! There's grass!
Who'd a thunk it?
Not this girl.
Scott raked throughout the week
and earned himself about $20.
We paid him minimum wage
which is $7.25 here in North Carolina.
He bought himself a super huge nerf type dart gun
and he'd had enough of raking.
He helped a bit, but mostly he ran around the yard
shooting the rest of us with his new gun.
You take your entertainment where you can find it.
He did go with Steven to the landfill twice
to drop off two huge loads of leaves.
He watched as Steven fought with the hoards of people
who had the same idea that we did,
(work in the yard on the first super warm weekend
of the year)
and laughed when the wind picked up
and forced a great deal of the leaves and dirt
into his dad's face.
That line about taking your entertainment comes to mind again.
Here's Mylee Bug,
earning her own pocket money.
She was a big help.
Here are those crazy palm frond thingies.
HUGE pain in the butt.
There are no other words to describe them.
The job is complete!
Maya, Steven and I got all the leaves cleaned up
off the street as well before we called it a day.
A shot of our leaf free yard
and Steven's company car.
The leaves in the bushes don't count.
Oh, and don't go to the back of the house.
The three and half hours we spent raking
took place in the front yard only.
We saved the back yard for another day.
I am sitting here trying to find a muscle that doesn't hurt.
My hands are a bit sore, even though I wore gloves,
and my arms and back are rebelling.
Wait...oh, maybe...no...
Pretty much everything hurts.
It's okay, though.
We'll all sleep well tonight at any rate,
and then in a few more weeks,
we'll have to rake all over again.
Nature...it's relentless.

No comments:
Post a Comment