Saturday, April 4, 2009

Judith Nancy Wing
September 6, 1948 - March 14, 2009



As most of you know, Steven's mom, Judi, was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer
in August of 2004.
Her prognosis was bleak. At first doctor's gave her six months to live
and then they changed that to eighteen months.
Judi, unwilling to allow this disease to overtake her,
fought the cancer and won the battle for five years.
Not only did she fight it for five years,
she was able to, for the most part, put it aside,
and live a full, happy life filled with family events and
time spent with friends. She had her ups and downs
health wise, but she was always Mom...always Gramma,
and much of the time, the fact that she was sick
got lost in our everyday lives.



Last September, mom celebrated her 60th birthday.
It was a milestone for her...
one she was incredibly happy to have reached.
Her health deteriorated quickly after that
and she spent a lot of this past fall in the hospital
undergoing surgeries and other procedures.
She continued with her chemo treatments
and, while her body slowed down, her spirit never did.



On March 12th, Steven flew back home to Colorado.
He spent two days with his mom and with Dad, Kevin and Pete
before Judi passed away on Saturday, March 14th.



She was at home, exactly where she wanted to be.

There are so many things I will remember about mom....
far too many to list here.
A few of these things are the phenomenal
carrot cake she used to make,
the homemade wontons and lemon bars,
chocolate chip cookies and breakfast burritos.
I will always think of her when I smell the scent of lilacs,
eat marshmallows, Froot Loops or iced animal crackers.



I will think of her when I cuddle up in one of the many afghans she knitted,
or pull on a sweater or a hat she made just for me.

I will think of her laugh and her hugs,
her incredibly positive attitude
and her love of life.



Mom loved her family more than anything...
She and Dad celebrated their 41st wedding anniversary on December 16th,
and she was devoted to her three boys
and both of her grandchildren.
I am happy to say that she was an enormous part of my life
for more than seventeen years.
I loved mom very much...and will always love her.
We all miss her terribly.



Thank you all so much for your kind words, phone calls and emails
during this most difficult time.

I know that Judi touched many lives. I hope that you all have
many wonderful memories of this incredibly strong
and wonderful woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment