Saturday, April 21, 2012

A little bit more of this and that

We haven't done much traveling the past couple of weeks. We are trying to get used to Steven's new work schedule and a new school schedule for us, as well. Steven works nights now which has been an adjustment. He's doing really well. I've been very proud of him. I'm not sure I could do what he's doing. We have a four day weekend coming up...I think we're going to take advantage of it and get ourselves out and traveling a bit, but we've been keeping busy here with lots of school work...and some other fun stuff, too.


Mylee working on her German. We speak a little bit of the language...learning more and more all the time. I've been able to read a little bit more and understand what I see on signs and can pick up a few words when I hear it being spoken. We don't speak German that well yet...but we're pretty good at Germlish. :)


The other day we decided we were going to go and see how far we are from France. How cool is that...we go have dinner and then decide, "Hey...we're going to go to France?" Awesome. We're actually only thirty minutes from the French border.  Thirty minutes! 


This is what the border looked like. It is no longer manned and traffic flows through it freely.


The quality of this shot is awful...we were moving and I only had my little camera with me...but, still. It says France. We're just country hopping now...it's so wild. And wonderful.


Mylee has a birthday coming up. It's a big one, too. She'll be 13 on May third. GG sent her a box already, just full of presents. 


This is one of my favorite things about our drive from Vogelweh back home. There are many ways for us to get back and forth, but this road drops us into a little village called Krickenbach. Again, the quality of this shot is not so good...not only was it taken with the little camera, but it was also taken through the windshield and in the rain. I call this the Krickenbach tree and I love it. We go over this little hill and just past the tree is the village. Joy in small things.


These last two weeks in school have been incredibly busy and very, very productive. Maya is tackling a collection of short stories and poetry by Edgar Allen Poe and figuring out this whole algebra thing. Scott is reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and mastering long division. Of course there's a lot of science, history and geography thrown in there as well. This shot was taken at the end of this last week...we decided to play Quiddler which is a really fun spelling game, but before we did that, the kids decided to let off a little steam. They're a little goofy...which is just one of the many reasons why I love them so much.


Ah...okay, I will be honest and tell you that there isn't really a whole lot about the states that I miss...other than people and Joey dog, that is. Oh...and ice. I do miss ice. One of the biggest things that I miss is refrigerator space. Steven and I went shopping and brought home a little more than usual. We were hungry, I guess, but I had planned for meals for about five days...and had to get really creative about putting it all away. You're only seeing the front layer...but there are many, many other things that you can't see, such as three half gallon cartons of milk, more juice...and a lot of other things. Yikes. We have an understanding around here...he who opens the refrigerator door puts his life in jeopardy. Okay...maybe not his life...but definitely his toes.


The kids got haircuts. Scott was looking a little shaggy and his hair is so thick that he was having a hard time getting it clean. So handsome, this kid.


Even though he was pretty darn cute with the ragamuffin 'do, too.


Maya decided she'd had enough fun with the mohawk. The only way to go from there was shorter, so she's starting from scratch. She likes the whole black and white effect to photographs. I love this face...This face makes me happy.


And this, just so you don't think she's serious all the time.... As a matter of fact, she's serious very little of the time. Comic relief...that's what she is. 

Now I'm off for more great adventures!





No comments:

Post a Comment