from the webpage:
According to German folklore, the Easter Bunny lays eggs and hides them in gardens. Both rabbits and eggs have been a symbol of fertility since antiquity. Spring time is also symbolic of new beginnings, new birth. The egg has long been a symbol of the Ressurection -- this signifies new birth, for from the egg a bird hatches.
How did the custom of coloring eggs for Easter come into the picture? Traditionally the eggs were colored red to symbolize the sacrifice Christ gave with his own blood. Some times eggs were colored green to symbolize new foliage emerging after the cold dark months of winter. One way people in early times brought spring into their homes was to boil eggs with the flowers of spring (another symbol of new birth). The eggs took on the color of the flowers.
~~~~~~~~~~
It's always fun to find out where certain traditions come from. I don't know about the idea that a bunny goes around laying eggs, but as long as the old Easter Rabbit, (as our landlord referred to him) brings chocolate and Peeps, he can lay as many eggs as he wants in my opinion.
The kids are good about letting me take their pictures...but let's be realistic. We have ten goofy shots for every 'perfectly' posed one.
Personally, I kind of like the goofy shots the best.
After all, this is much more Scott and Maya than just about any other picture I could have captured.
They're just so wonderful...huggy and warm, sweet and playful...
...ridiculously goofy and giggly...
...not to mention incredibly entertaining.
This morning, the kids and I got up and dyed eggs.
The bunny did not have baskets to fill. Those got left in Cary along with a bunch of other stuff we no longer have...but they still got jelly beans, a chocolate bunny and Peeps. I don't really think they care about the packaging so much.
I made an enormous dinner of roast chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed broccoli and rolls. After we ate, the kids went on an egg hunt. This house is really cool for that. We have a big front yard, and the back yard is two different levels. LOTS of places to hide eggs. :)
I love this house.
This is the lower part of our back yard. The door Steven is coming through is the music room which is part of our classroom. The terrace and windows above are our dining room.
Happy Easter, everyone. We hope yours was as good as ours was. :)




Happy Easter, Happy Spring!
ReplyDeleteWe did go to Tiki Island, TX for spring break. It was great, family fun! I enjoyed your Easter post. We miss youths Shingletons