Monday, December 19, 2011

Moving, Christmas and farewells

It looks like an easy thing, and maybe for someone who's had a decent night's sleep in the last couple of weeks, it probably would be. I'm not one of those people, and no, it wasn't easy. It was like a Chinese puzzle, but I prevailed! Scott's stereo is in it's original box once more...the right way and everything.


Of course, the movers will probably come, take it out of the box to read the serial number on it therefore ruining all of my hard work but, hey. Maybe I'll luck out and they won't and I can continue to feel good about having packed it correctly.

Did I mention that I'm tired?

So...it hasn't felt much like Christmas around here. There are no decorations in our house. Heck, we don't even have living room furniture and I tossed our Christmas tree because it was about thirteen years old and shedding just a little bit more each year. I figured it was good to let it go...I don't really want to unpack it in Germany next year and find that it had gone bald. 

I know it's Christmas here even though it's been near 70 degrees with brilliantly blue skies for most of December for two reasons:

Reason #1:


The freaky horse on Academy Street is wearing a Santa hat. Some may think this makes the horse a little less creepy. I, however, don't feel that way. He's still creepy. Maybe even more so now...but I guess it's festive.

Reason #2: The family that moved into Trevor's old house have decked the place out. It's almost indescribable the festiveness that's going on in that yard. Scott went outside with me last week to help me load some things into the Audi and he just stood there taking it in for a moment. After a few seconds, he looked at me and said, "What are they? Who's?" 

Ah...could be, could be.

It's way over the top with an inflated Nutcracker, penguins carrying a stack of presents, snowflake and candy cane lights blazing along the property line and, best of all, there's a teeter totter with three reindeer on one end and Santa on the other that plays Christmas music for the entire neighborhood. It's like the North Pole over there...and even though it's obnoxious, I love it. Yay for the Who family in Trevor's old house! They've brought some Christmas cheer into our lives and I've been grateful for it.

Speaking of Trevor...


...his mom, Mimi, brought him over today and the kids exchanged gifts. 


Here they are...the Terrific Trio. Wow, was it hard to say goodbye to this kid. Although, he said it wasn't a goodbye, that it was a farewell; that we would see each other again. I sure hope he's right. 


He's probably the hardest thing there is about leaving North Carolina.

Tomorrow is our departure day. Um...wait. TODAY is our departure day. I still have an alarming amount of things to do so I'd better get back to it.

Next post will be from Germany!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive