Saturday, August 13, 2011

Germany, part 2

When Steven came back from Stuttgart, Germany on June 7, we knew another trip overseas was likely to happen. All of Steven's co-workers are in Europe...some of them were in England, Cuba, Belgium and, like he was, in Germany. Right now, all of them, but Steven, are in Belgium and that's where we thought he'd probably be shipped to when he made a second trip as well.


That was not to be, however. He found out last week that he was needed in Heidelberg, so the last few days have seen us preparing and getting ready for this second trip. 


When Steven was gone the first time, the kids and I started watching reruns of 3rd Rock from the Sun. Tommy said something in one of the episodes that made me laugh, and I think it absolutely applies to this second trip for me...

It sucks out loud.


BUT...

I strongly believe that what everyone needs right now is support...and a very positive attitude, so, while I am unhappy about this new TDY, I am also up to the challenge. Steven's job will be a bit different this go around and he'll be challenged at work, working on things he's trained for, but hasn't had a chance to get his hands on. This is a good thing. He won't be stuck to a phone, either, which was something that made him very unhappy the last go around. He was asked for by name, my husband. He's got a reputation. He'll do General Dynamics proud, I have no doubt. 

 

He's scheduled to be back on November 5th. I have my countdown started. 83 days. We made it 71 days last time. I really want him to come back early, but he's thinking that if he has to be away, it would be good to have the whole 83 days. There's more money in it that way, and it makes the whole thing more worth it. 


I'm thinking November 5th can't get here fast enough.

We have school...and our curriculum is packed this year. We have swimming and the kids start another bowling league on September 7th. We'll keep busy. I'll rake lots of leaves. I've also got two huge writing projects going on right now so between that and school, my time will be well spoken for.


Steven landed at Dulles International Airport at 6:00 tonight after several delays here in Raleigh. He is now on the plane heading to Frankfurt. He'll drive from there to Heidelberg and have tomorrow to settle into his hotel before work starts on Monday morning.


This picture makes my heart hurt...

Goodbye, sweetheart, for 83 days. We love you. Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment