At about eight o'clock last night, I was in the kitchen making dinner for the kids. Mylee was upstairs in her room listening to music and Scotty was entertaining himself with an episode of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius.
I heard a noise that I didn't recognize at first, then realized it was coming from the garage door. I did some quick mental calculations; Mylee was accounted for, as was Scott. I was pretty sure that Joey hadn't mastered the use of keys...and the only other person who even had a key was Steven. But he was in Stuttgart, Germany...4,500 miles away with two weeks left before he returned home.
Now, all of this went through my head in just a few seconds time...and for reasons unknown even to me, my first reaction was to grab the first thing I could find to use as protection for whomever it was on the other side of the door. That happened to be a very deadly....hardback book.
I peeked around the fridge and watched the door as it slowly opened. At this point, I'd decided that not only would I throw my book, (and hope for previously unheard of good aim on my part,) but smack the panic button on the alarm keypad as well. But before I had a chance to launch my attack, guess who I saw walk through the door? STEVEN!
Yes, he'd come home early! He'd known about it since Friday and had kept it a secret. He'd spent his weekend doing his laundry and getting everything ready for a very, very early flight on Tuesday morning out of Germany.
He scared me...but the second I saw his face, I was so overwhelmed with happiness and tears. This was the best surprise I've ever gotten. We got him back a full two weeks earlier than expected...and none of us are willing to let him out of our sight. He's back in North Carolina, safe, sound and without much breathing room or personal space. :)
As it should be, the Wing family is a quartet once again.
What a great surprise! Happy you're all back together.
ReplyDelete