Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A return to Heidelberg

I LOVE this city. I could easily live in this city, and whenever the idea of going to visit comes up, I'm always the first one to agree. 

Here are a few (hundred) reasons why...

the Heidelberg welcoming committee. Cute, huh?
Mylee took over the big Nikon for about 98% of this excursion. I, not being able to put away the camera, also took shots with the little Nikon. Therefore, I had about a bazillion and eighteen photographs when it was all said and done. Forgive me if I missed something and one or two of them wind up in the wrong order.

peek-a-boo, Scotty
If you ever have a chance to visit Heidelberg near Christmas, I suggest you do it. Something about the Christmas trees and lights that make this magical city even more so.

Peterskirche...



The Christmas tree in St. Peter's Church. Beautiful.
From St. Peter's, we went to Heiliggeistkirche, or the Church of the Holy Spirit.




Didn't I say I love Heidelberg?

We walked to the market place and got this shot of the Heidelberg castle from below before getting a few family shots.



Looking back to get a shot of the Church of the Holy Spirit from the outside.

The Goulds like Heidelberg, too. Chris was actually born there.
Anya
 It was then time for our hike up to the castle.


Boys can be silly sometimes


Steve, Anya, Mylee and Scott
a gorgeous view of the Old Bridge and the Neckar River.
I do believe my eyes are closed in this shot...other than that, it's perfect.


I love this shot. Mylee's such an awesome photographer.

Scott and Steve playing with sticks.


Scott looks like Harry Potter in this shot...is he casting a spell?



Me, my husband...and his eyebrows. :)
Maya mentioned that a lot of these guys looked like they'd indulged in a few too many cupcakes. Personally, I love this guy's pants. Very stylish.


Steven loves Heidelberg as much as I do.


Suzanna, Steve and Anya hanging out at the castle.

After we'd spent some time exploring up at the top, it was time to climb down. (Sure am glad we didn't go up this way!)

315 Stufen. That's stairs to you English speaking folks.
Mylee's Whomping Willow shot. Awesome!

Our time at the castle made us hungry. In the market place, there were still some food vendors that hadn't shut down after the Christmas market closed. There is a fire in the pit and the grill is hanging above it. The people working the stand just push the grill, turning it so they can grab them meat that they want off of it.


Scott, Maya and Steven ate steak sandwiches, while I tried a brat. Yum!


Steve and Anya ate flammkuchen, which is a little like pizza.

This was our view as we sat and ate our lunch. Not too shabby if you ask me...


The Old Bridge. Possibly my favorite part of Heidelberg.


The Old Bridge monkey with the Wing and Gould monkeys.



Another amazing day spent in Heidelberg!






No comments:

Post a Comment