On Thursday, Steven, the kids and I loaded up into the BMW and we took a trip southeast of Linden to a city called Speyer, (pronounced Shpeyer). Speyer is one of Germany's oldest cities, located on the Rhine River, and holds much historical significance for Germany. I had read about the cathedral there so we headed out to take a look.
On our way, we passed through a village named St. Martin.
There is a well known health resort here, and St Martin is also popular for their wine.
This is Hambach Castle. It is considered to be the symbol of the German democracy movement because it was here that the Hambacher Fest took place in 1832. The Hambacher Fest was a German national democratic festival disguised as a non-political county fair attended by about 30,000 people of all ranks of society who were under Bavarian rule at the time, suffering from high taxes and censorship. The main demands of the meeting were liberty, civil rights and national unity. The meeting had no immediate results, but is considered a milestone in German history because it was the first time that a republican movement made its mark on the country. In May of 1985, President Reagan delivered his "an die Jugend der Welt" (to the youth of the world) speech here, and presidents of Germany usually make inaugural visits to this historic site. Today, this castle is a convention center and a museum. Of course we didn't know any of this as we were driving past it. Instead, I think our conversation went a little something like this...
Steven: "Hey, there's a castle right there."
Jennifer: "Oh, yeah. That's cool." Then I proceeded to take some photos of it through Steven's window.
Steven: "Was my beak in the way?"
Jennifer: "Nope. I didn't get your beak."
Then we drove on. Sometimes it isn't until after the fact that we realize we've seen something important. Oh, well. Now we know.
A short time after we passed the castle, we crossed the Rhine River.
Then we spotted what we'd come to Speyer to see.
Officially, it is named the Imperial Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption and St. Stephen, but that's quite a mouthful, don't you think? How about Speyer Cathedral? That sounds good to me.
Construction of this cathedral began in 1030, and it remains the largest Romanesque church in existence. I did get a lot of pictures of the inside, but it was very wet and rainy while we were there so I am going to share with you some shots that I did not take myself of the outside.
Okay...now, back to my own photographs. These are the ones I took of the outside.
Here are some photos I scanned from the pamphlet we got from inside the cathedral as well.
![]() |
| click to enlarge |
Even though it was a wet day, there were still quite a few people milling around.
It was built by the emperor's and designated as their final resting place as a symbol of their power. The Speyer Cathedral is the first known structure to be built with a gallery that goes all the way around the building. The arches of the cathedral were also a first in architectural history. In 1689, there was a town fire that destroyed a large part of the nave, but in 1758, restorations were begun, and by 1778 it had been restored to its original state.
| the central nave |
| the enormous organ in the altar parochial |
Around this corner there are some stairs that go down into the crypt and the tombs of the emperors. Eight German Emperors and Kings are buried here, along with four Queens and a number of bishops. The stairs going up lead to St. Catherine's Chapel, the high altar and the choir and apse. St. Catherine's Chapel is the relic chapel of the cathedral and a place of the sacrament of confession. (It was very tight in here and I was unable to get good pictures.) In this chapel we saw a humerus bone, and the head of St. Stephen. There were also remnants of other various saints. I found a photo of St. Stephen on the web and thought I'd share. Whomever took this picture did a better job than I as I was nervous about using my flash in fear of bothering the others in this small room.
Here is a photo of the humerus bone, also by the same photographer.
Below St. Catherine's Chapel is the Baptistery St. Martin. You can look down into the baptistery from the chapel. I thought these glass lamps were beautiful.
This is next to the high altar,
and this cross hangs over the high altar.
I was standing next to the high altar when I shot this. I am looking toward the front of the cathedral.
I believe the rooms to either side of the high altar are called the crossing.
The chain on the lower right holds the Latin cross that hangs just in front of the cupola The cupola itself is a symbol for the seventh day, the day of rest.
While we were inside the cathedral, someone came in and began playing the organ. It had a beautiful sound to it.
This was also taken in the crossing, (the cross is hanging to the left.) There's Scotty. Look at how small he seems in this huge space....
Notice Mylee in the lower right hand corner. This was also taken in the crossing. I didn't have any other shots of the kids so this is why I included this picture. It was all about the cathedral for me on this trip I suppose. :)
| another view of the cupola |
On our way back toward the entrance of the cathedral, we walked past the crypt once more. This stands near the entry of the crypt and I found the detail very interesting.
| click to enlarge |
| organ pipes above the front door of the cathedral |
We were greeted with a downpour of rain as we left the cathedral. Fortunately we weren't parked far away. I thought the flowers on the building to the right were a welcome flash of red in the dreary rain. That building is the Rathaus, (or city hall).
| one more picture before our mad dash in the rain |
We have all decided that we need to go back to Speyer for a couple of different reasons. Maya spotted what might be another outlet for her coaster addiction. Holiday Park has a free fall tower, a water coaster, the Superwirbel, (a backwards looping coaster) and a family raft ride. Nothing like Europa Park, but it may be entertaining all the same. The other reason we will be making the trip back to Speyer is the Technik Museum where they have a large collection of planes, classic cars, locomotives, fire engines, a German U9 submarine and a Russian An-22.
Until then, I think I will be checking out some books on the Speyer Cathedral. I am interested in learning more about this beautiful church.

.jpg)




No comments:
Post a Comment