We've been keeping busy around here, Steven at work and the kids and I in school. We're settling in. We still don't have furniture, but hey, who needs furniture??? We're doing just fine right now without it.
On January 17th, Steven went in for a meeting for work and the next day, kicked off his first week in the office. The same day, the kids and I started school. We studied up in the dining room, but started our second week down in our school room. Scott and I drug our borrowed table and chairs and all of our electrical equipment down and we've decided it's a pretty awesome space down here. Yay for a dedicated school room!
We got all excited when it started to snow one night. We've heard about the snow here...how it actually does snow. Usually. I guess last year it snowed a lot. It hasn't yet this winter...and we're waiting for it.
We were hoping for some accumulation, but nope. No snow. Ah, well. It's only the 26th of January. We still may get a storm or two.
After looking at these pictures, I realized you couldn't actually see the flakes that were falling. You might just have to trust me on this. They really and truly were.
The kids and I met our friends, the Gilmore's, (at least 4/5's of them) at our local bakery last Saturday. We walked down there in the rain, then we all trekked back up to our house to eat our yummy treats. That night, after Steven and Rich had put in a very full day at work, we went to the Gilmore's for a pizza dinner and Michaelene made us Shirley Temples. :) We like Shirley Temple's.
After our first full week of school and work after not being on a schedule since the first of November, the four of us were wiped out. We took a couple of days to just chill. The Gilmore's supplied us with a bunch of great DVD's...like Samantha Who? and several seasons of Boston Legal. Steven and I are a little bit addicted to Boston Legal, truth be told. Luckily, we're well connected and will be able to watch all of the seasons. Our rest and relaxation stretched into Monday as well when we met the Gilmore's at Hacienda for some Mexican food.
Unfortunately, Scotty came down with a bug later that night. Maya had been fighting something the previous week, but it never actually got a hold of her. Scott wasn't so lucky.
Steven and I spent most of Tuesday running errands and getting ready for the new week. We arrived home complete with cold meds, food and the reassurance from the phone company that we'd have internet up and running by the next day. Things tend to move slowly around here, but things eventually get done. Most people say three weeks for phone service is about the norm. We're starting to adapt to the German way...slower, unhurried and low key. It's difficult but you know what they say..."When in Rome..." Okay, Germany. You get the point.
Today Scott is a little worse...very stuffy with little appetite. (His Friv games are up on our newly acquired internet, though!) It's moved on to both Steven and I as well. Maya's still hanging tough. We'll keep our fingers crossed that she's too much for this bug to handle.
We continue to study German on our Rosetta Stone program, and we are learning about German history and customs as well. We've read some very interesting things which I will share in a later post. We've done well these past several days to begin making up for lost time in the class room. Have I mentioned lately that we have awesome kids? Yeah...I probably have. Just in case...
Maya and Scott are awesome!
For the time being...Scott and I are going to go be sick together. Until next time...tschus!
No comments:
Post a Comment