My flights back to Frankfurt were long but thankfully, uneventful. I arrived at about 11:30 Saturday morning to the smiling faces of my husband and children...and had never been so grateful to be back in their presence. I don't like separation. It makes me sad. Fortunately for me, I was kept so busy that the five nights I was away flew by. I accomplished a great deal and was very happy with the way the Cary house was left.
I was also happy to get back to our house in Linden.
There's been a lot of lounging since we got here. I'll be honest with you...we're all worn out. It was a crazy year last year, and the last two months have been all about lots of travel, upheaval, moving and feeling very displaced. Lounging is what we needed. Peace, quiet and recovery.
But this last week, we kicked things up several notches. Steven was officially put on the schedule for work and his days got a lot earlier. I also uprooted the kids off the couch and began school again. The first day was a bit rough going. They haven't been in class since the first week of November which is a very, very long time. It took some cheer leading to get them back into the right mindset. I'm one hell of a cheer leader. :)
While I was gone, our land lord, Elfie, lent us a table and four chairs. It's come in handy for things like school.
We have lots of windows in our house...makes for a sunny work place. At times, it might prove to be a little bit too sunny. Although we won't be working up in the dining room once we have our furniture back. We'll be downstairs in our school room so I don't think sun will be an issue.
Scott thinks Maya's ridiculous.
I stuffed my back pack full of school supplies before leaving Cary. I organized folders for each child, putting in about a quarter's worth of work from each subject inside. I have already spent a great deal of time in the last two days rounding up supplemental curriculum from my favorite sites on the web and we've added some new things to our studies. We have begun learning to speak German through a Rosetta Stone program as well as picking up some German history through a book I just bought on my brand new Kindle. See how resourceful I am? The Kindle...not just for fun fiction, my friends.
Maya decided to move herself out of the sun. It's so much easier to do Language Arts when you can see the paper.
When I sat down and went through my calendar, I figured out that we'd missed a total of seven weeks of school. We had scheduled some time off in November and December including a vacation spent with Steven after all of his travels, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The time we have to make up could have been much more but still, we do have quite a bit to catch up on. I think we will be able to wrap up this year's studies sometime in mid to late June, then do our end of year testing. We will still take our Spring Break, but will do it over Maya's birthday in May instead of in March like usual. We have a trip planned and are already excited about it.
So, enough blogging for now...I need to hit the books with the kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment