Monday, January 18, 2010

Kure Beach in the winter time


When Steven and I woke up on Sunday morning, we both decided that we were in need of a beach trip. December was very wet and rainy, and then January came and with it came winter time. We had a stretch of very cold temps for several weeks that forced us to stay inside surrounded by dreary, gray skies. The two of us needed to be by the water so we gathered up the kids and climbed into the Audi and headed east. The skies were very overcast and scary as we drove. We had lots of rain and low visibility for the first half of the drive, but then the skies began to clear and we got some beautiful blue skies.

The car said the temps were in the low 60's, although it didn't feel quite that warm. I was happy to see the sun and enjoyed the ride into Wilmington.


I have a certain sentimental attachment to Kure Beach.
It was the first beach the four of us visited together once we reached North Carolina.
Every time we come back, I'm so happy to see it once again.
 

It was really windy as we left the boardwalk and headed toward the beach.
 

 I love all beaches,
but Kure Beach feels like "our" beach.


The sea breeze was cool, but the sun was bright.
 

We sat on the sand and watched the gulls and the sandpipers
as they dove and dipped in the sky and the water,
as they hunted in the sand for morsels of food.
 

We've taken just about everyone that's visited us
to Kure Beach, with the exception of Larrabee and Mimi.
This pier has been open the other times we've been here,
but it was closed to us on this trip.
 

The sound of the waves, the smell of the salty air
and the feel of the moist breeze made me smile.


Me and my sweetie.
 

We all got a little windblown.
I love Mylee's pink cheeks in this picture.

Beach therapy...
I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment